Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9.11.01


I have been trying to think back to 9.11.01 today. I don't want to ever forget that feeling. We had just moved into our house in Acworth. I was sleeping late- been moving and before kids- and the phone woke me up. I can't remember who was the first person I talked to but I know I talked to everyone that day. But some one called and told me to turn on the TV that a plane had accidentally flown into the World Trade Center. The cable wasn't hooked up yet so I turned on the radio. It was tuned to my normal station that played pop music and had a morning show. Only they weren't being funny and no music was playing. They were talking about this plane crashing into the tower. Apparently they were watching CNN or something. When the second plane hit they started yelling and giving a play by play of the scene. Then the Pentagon, then Pennsylvania. They were speculating that it would keep happening because the crashes had been happening at a steady rate.

Kelli reminded me that she had just moved to Baltimore on the 8th. That was a horrible weekend. On that Friday I was fired from my job, Kelli moved to Baltimore 8 months pregnant and then on Tuesday, 9/11.

The whole time I am listening to this and talking on the phone. At some point I realized that Erin & Joe had been in Baltimore and were supposed to be flying out that day. I called them praying that they were still safely with their friends. They were. Their flight had been scheduled to leave later that day from Dulles. I think my dad was travelling that day to but luckily hadn't left yet. Justin was working in Alabama. I called him just to hear his voice and to make sure he knew what was going on. That whole day everyone I knew, where ever they lived was calling all of their friends and family. I guess just to know that they were safe. I quickly got dressed and went to my mom & dad's house so that I could watch the news. When I got there I went into the bathroom and noticed that the t-shirt had put on said "Terroristen" (the name of the John Taylor album). I was horrified. I took it off and threw it in the trash. I think I found one of Erin's old t-shirts to wear.

Erin and Joe couldn't get home because all of the flights were grounded. That was so weird- not hearing planes or seeing them in the sky. Anyway, they were stuck in Baltimore for a while, I can't remember how long, because they couldn't find a rental car or even get on a train to come home. I think they ended up renting a moving truck to get home.

That time was so strange. Nothing seemed normal. I had nightmares. It was so unbelievable that anything like that could happen to us. How could we have had such a false sense of security. For months I watched everything I could and read everything I could about that day. I just can't imagine being in New York or DC that day. I can't imagine the desperation of not knowing if your loved ones were okay. Or the families of the firefighters. Some good did come out of that day. We re found our patriotism. Flags everywhere for months. We were all the same and in the same pain. Some were worse than others but we were united for a while. I wish I had a flag to put up outside my house.

No comments: